- Eller Economy App Supports 'Informed Decision-Making' in Arizona The new mobile app provides policymakers, business owners, faculty, students, investors and members of the general public access to current and historic economic indicators for the state of Arizona. The app was developed by the UA's Economic and Business Research Center, in collaboration with the University's Mobile Matters team. [Read More]
- CIO Senior Leaders Teach Business Intelligence Course at Eller With demand for graduate level management information systems (MIS) courses on the rise, two senior staff from the Office of the CIO entered the classroom this spring to share their business intelligence expertise and provide students with a curriculum that delivers on the 100 percent engagement concept outlined in the UA strategic plan. Together, deputy chief information officer Barry Brummund and senior director of Enterprise Information and Analytics Hank Childers are teaching MIS 587: Business Intelligence. [Read More]
- New Site in a Box Customized for Campus Calendars What happens when nine clients want to share a Site in a Box website? At the end of September 2013, Bernadine Cannon, manager of the UITS Web and Mobile Services Team, was asked to meet with members from nine different business units. They wanted a single University Business Event Calendar (UBET) to make all of their respective units’ deadline and event dates available to campus, preferably in staff members’ Outlook calendars. [Read More]
- UITS Implements New Email System to Reduce Spam If you've noticed less spam in your inbox, it's likely thanks to a new filtration system implemented by University Information Technology Services. The UA typically takes in between 5 million and 8 million messages each day, approximately 85 percent of which are considered undesirable spam messages, viruses or phishing attempts, said Derek Masseth, UITS senior director of infrastructure and client services. [Read More]
- UITS Rolling Out New Voicemail System That's 'as Mobile as You Are' The current campus voicemail system, Octel, is being replaced with Cisco's Unity Connection. Benefits of the new system include improved synchronization with the UAConnect email system and a Web-based interface that allows users to check messages remotely. The target date for all of campus to be converted is fall 2014. [Read More]
- EDUCAUSE/NMC’s Six Trends Driving Changes in Higher Education The EDUCAUSE Learning initiative and the New Media Consortium (NMC) have collaborated on research now published in a new report from the NMC, Horizon Report > 2014 Higher Education Edition, which describes six key trends they see as accelerating higher education technology adoption. [Read More]
- Leveraging Big Data To Develop Innovative Solutions Many industries have the potential to gain substantial business value from big data. Higher education institutions can also benefit from the power of big data by achieving operational efficiencies, improving student outcomes and expanding research capabilities. [Read More]
The Office of the CIO has recently added a media gallery section to its website. The media gallery will feature informative videos about important IT trends and initiatives, messages from the CIO, events, and news from Inside UITS. The latest compilation of videos feature the inaugural UA IT Summit which took place on July 10, 2013 and attracted over 400 IT professionals on campus. Be sure to hear what people are saying about the IT Summit and the excitement that is already building for next year’s event!